Dear HBUHSD Community,
We understand the Coronavirus concern for our students and families in our District, and our students’ health is our top priority. It’s important that you know our District Staff, Nurses, and Athletic Trainers are working closely with and receiving the most recent updates from the Orange County Health Care Agency and the California Department of Public Health to ensure our students’ safety and wellbeing.
Our District wants to emphasize that the California Department of Public Health (2020) claims the “health risk to the general public in California remains low” and is not recommending the cancellation of public events. They have stated:
“California state and local health officials are actively working to help protect the health of Californians. We understand that some Californians may be concerned about COVID-19. California has a limited number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 and we don’t have indication of it spreading widely in our communities at this time.”
We ask that all families continue to monitor their health, as well as practicing preventive care recommendations from the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and CDPH (California Department of Public Health) as one would during flu season:
- Wash hands routinely with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Use “respiratory etiquette”; Cover cough or sneeze with a tissue or sleeve.
- Stay home from school/work for at least 24 hours when sick or following any symptoms of illness
- Stay at home until fever has been absent for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medicines
- A temperature of 100.0 F is considered a fever
- Seek immediate medical care if symptoms become more severe, e.g., high fever or difficulty breathing
Do not touch eyes, nose, or mouth — germs are often spread this way
- Do not share personal items such as food, drinks, pencils, and pens
As a reminder, maintenance staff is using proper cleaning and sanitizing protocols for desks, doorknobs, and other frequently touched surfaces. Hand sanitizer is available around our school campuses as well as soap and water in the restrooms.
For more information regarding the Novel Coronavirus, please visit the following websites: